Monday, April 11, 2011

Using creative internet tools to enhance writing education

Book swapping by nSeika

Book swapping, a photo by nSeika on Flickr.
I have to admit that I feel I am at a distinct disadvantage taking this internet tools course during my first semester of my TESOL Ed.M studies. It's hard for me to imagine how to use the tools we are learning about in an L2 classroom. This semester I couldn't get into any core classes (just gen. eds.) so I haven't yet learned about L2 pedagogy and have no educational background otherwise!

However, I am familiar with creative and expository writing, since that was my undergrad studies. My discussion of creative internet tools, therefore, are going to be regulated to what I do know. Two tools I want to discuss are from Pim Pam Pum. They are Bookr and Bubblr...both are so cool.

Bookr allows a person to create small text and image based books. One can use their own or another person's allowed copyrighted images, and then add text to each page. The standard size only has several pages; however, you can add more. Many times a student might be asked to create some sort of creative representation as a final draft of work done. In a poetry class a student might make a visual art book of a poem or collection of poems. Having an online medium to design creative projects is amazing resource for students, particularly since the online work is already formatted. Of course one can always do it the old school way: painstakingly printing and collating written works followed by professional or hand-binding. However, if a student simply wants to present written work in a dynamic format, using Bookr online can fit that bill.

Bubblr, is similar to Bookr in that on can upload photographs off internet sites like Flickr, but one can create comic books with the text. When checking out Pim Pam Pum's online tool Bubblr, I couldn't help but be reminded of a job skill program I used to be involved in. All trainees were expected to keep journals of their work experiences, etc. Well, one participant in one of the crew was functionally illiterate and the crew leaders of that crew asked that the participant take pictures and create titles for each picture. I think it was a great idea, but the camera the organization provided the individual was a regular, disposable camera. At the time, I thought a Polaroid would have been easier. Well, if only that member had been able to use the crew's digital camera...Bubblr would have been a perfect, and would have also taught computer and internet literacy, as well!

2 comments:

Maryanne said...

Katie,
Your undergrad background is a great one for teaching ESL/EFL. When you take more courses in this field, I hope you will keep in mind the tools you have explored in this course and think about how their use fits with what you are learning.

Katie LAI 590 said...

Here is another activity I could utilize in an English class to complement the reading of "Jonathan Livingston Seagull" by Richard Bach. Student's could write a short story in similar style with images of any creature.
http://www.pimpampum.net/bubblr/?id=29659