Monday, February 14, 2011

Mod 4: Ning Groups

This part of the module, is focused on Ning. I looked at some of the groups that our professor indicated might be beneficial. I googled EUROCALL to see what they are about. It wasn't immediately obvious to me on their specific Ning page.  I looked them up because "EURO" is in their name, and I eventually want to move to Europe...so far, I've only visited Northern European countries, I love the cultures. And I love some of the things European Union does that the US doesn't. So, if I want to teach ultimately in the European Union, it would be good to me to be connected with European learning programs, etc best I can.

Another reason why Eurocall would be beneficial to me is because it focuses on computer mediated language learning. I want to teach English as a foreign language, and so, learning about how to bring technology into the classroom will be beneficial (why I am taking this class)...even more beneficial is to get an understanding of the European viewpoint of using technology in a language classroom and what kinds of technologies are used. Also, a cool thing they have on their Ning is a page for blogs. They have these articles on upcoming events, symposiums. Awesome for learning from peers and networking!

But the best thing about Ning, potentially for me, might be networking. I have a very hard time introducing myself to complete strangers, to whom I have no connection...particularly for a business purpose. The thought makes me sick. But, belonging to an online community is a good icebreaker, a good connection, and provides a way to meet and interact online--not always face to face.

1 comment:

Maryanne said...

Katie,
Some of the edubloggers I follow are European. You might find Terry Freedman's site
http://www.ictineducation.org/
useful.
Here is another site you may find interesting.
http://www.ict4lt.org/